WHAT IS DMAIC AND HOW TO USE IT?
In this article we are going to talk about what is DMAIC, a methodology tool used in quality management for both small and large companies. Did you know how essential quality management is to the growth of any type of business?
DMAIC reduces waste, mitigates failures, solves problems, improves processes and gives a broader and more detailed view of everything that happens within an organization, giving better control over tasks.
With DMAIC methodology, developing strategic planning can be done in a more quantitative and organized manner, increasing planning efficiency.
The objectives and goals of management can only properly take shape if they are worked on and monitored by their respective action plans. Therefore in order to improve your results and see your business take off, you should invest in planning and monitoring methods!
By doing this you’ll be able to do more with the resources you have and can keep pace with the growth and development of your business.
Want to know exactly what is DMAIC? Then continue reading!
What is DMAIC?
Do you know what DMAIC means? The acronym DMAIC stands for Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve and Control, which briefly illustrates how this method is used to control processes.
It’s a 5-step roadmap drawn from the Lean Six Sigma methodology that helps companies use management data analysis for decision-making.
The 5 points of the DMAIC methodology are:
- Improve processes and boost the company’s quality management
- Focus constantly on improving products and tasks
- Bring success and prominence to the company
- Deliver continually better services to the consumer
- Make the most of available resources.
DMAIC has methods that are in common with some other methodologies we have already talked here on the blog, such as PDCA Cycle and A3. These methods can be used in isolation or together, depending on the goal of the organization and its circumstances.
Phase 1: Define
- Form the project team by selecting people who specialize in different areas so the group can have different perspectives when tackling tasks
- Choose and select problems objectively
- Focus on the most relevant and viable projects
- Think about any improvements that could be made
To assist with this phase, you can use brainstorming and an analysis of the company KPIs.
Phase 2: Measure
- Evaluate process performance and do a quantitative analysis before applying actions (in order for performance to be compared before and after)
- Gather data and information about the process
- Raise possible causes for the problems at hand.
Phase 3: Analyze
- Think about the root causes of the problems affecting management;
- Analyze the best ways to apply countermeasures to these causes;
- Identify possible opportunities for improvement.
To assist with this phase, the 5 Whys method can help.
Phase 4: Improve
- Test beforehand any possible actions and evaluate their pros and cons
- Set in motion the action plan in accordance with the necessities of each process
- Deploy improvements
To assist with this phase, the 5W2H method can be used.
Phase 5: Control
- Keep an eye on the development of the action plan so that things go smoothly;
- Establish criteria for control such as checklists, statistics, etc.
- Analyze the final performance of the process (financial or otherwise) ;
- Update any details as needed for continuous improvement of the process
To assist with this phase, you can use methods such as Control Charts or OCAP.
Concluding what is DMAIC
For DMAIC to be properly applied, all the employees involved in the process must have adequate training, be prepared and be in line with the proposed changes. A democratic and open atmosphere is essential for activities to be able to move smoothly and have the support of everyone.
Improving the team’s engagement with the company, its values and the personal performance of each member and all company processes is essential for successful planning. Remember: Your team is the key to success for any type of project!
Has this information about DMAIC been interesting for you? Learn more about other quality management methods by following our blog! And if you want to receive content directly to your email, sign up for News!
STRATWs One is a strategy software that has all the quality tools to guarantee success of your project.
Revolutionize your business management with STRATWs One.